After a project pre-study carried out by SNC-Lavalin in 2013 the client decided to implement six of the proposed measures, which had the objective of reducing the number of incidents with:
- People crossing the track when barriers are in the locked position
- Vehicles trapped between barriers
SNC-Lavalin’s task was to implement the measures:
- Optimization of barrier usage using timers
- Improve Interaction with road traffic light system (Vinderen Crossing)
- Optimization of maintenance
- Improving roadside light signaling
- Media and public communication strategies
- Experimenting with barrier skirt at the Ris crossing
This projects intention was to turn the increasing trend of illegal level crossing passages. The goal has been accomplished, and SNC-Lavalin's engagement has been extended to implement further measures.
The Oslo Metros level crossings represent the largest safety risk for the Metros customers. SNC-Lavalin is happy to have contributed to improving safety.