Graduates undertake a four week induction.
- Week 1 consists of learning about the business, the scheme, meeting mentors, teams and attending a personal track safety course.
- Week 2 is spent doing volunteer work on a heritage railway and is geared towards teambuilding.
- Weeks 3 and 4 are spent completing the UK Rail Systems course which includes Traction and Rolling Stock, Infrastructure, Rail Control Systems and an introduction to the UK rail industry.
Training Courses -
The following courses are an essential part of the scheme to give graduates an understanding of the rail industry and to develop the skills required in becoming an assignment manager.
- Presentation Skills Course
- Report Writing Skills Course
- Core Management Skills Course
- Workshop Practical Skills Course
- Design and Make Project
The latter two courses are carried out at a dedicated college to give graduates valuable workshop practical skills, design skills, team skills and manufacturing experience. The design and make project tends to support the Graduates entry into IMechE Railway Challenge
with them designing and building a 10 ¼” gauge loco to enter in the annual competition.