SNC-Lavalin has worked with Arup to provide DfT with technical, business case and commercial advice in connection with the procurement of new rolling stock to deliver the Thameslink Programme.
The Thameslink Programme is a major element in the development and improvement of the London rail network which will allow the operation of longer trains at a frequency of up to 24 trains per hour (tph) in each direction through central London.
Major infrastructure works are underway, together with the procurement of 115 8 and 12 car EMUs from Siemens. The trains have a capital value approaching £1.5 billion and will be supported by a lifelong maintenance agreement.
SNC-Lavalin has assisted DfT with the following work packages:
- Preparation of a high level rolling stock specification to support the OJEU notice
- Detailed work to develop a performance specification to accompany the Invitation to Tender
- Close liaison with Network Rail to ensure that a robust Train-Infrastructure Interface Specification was prepared
- Strategic work with DfT to develop the procurement strategy and commercial proposition
- Detailed work with the DfT commercial, legal and corporate finance teams to finalise draft contracts which accompany the ITT
- Technical and commercial evaluation of tenders received, including placing financial values on risk adjustments
- Support to the contract negations with Siemens and the financiers, focussing particularly on risk mitigation and detailed drafting within the suite of contracts, but particularly within the Manufacture and Supply Agreement, Train Services Agreement and Rolling Stock lease
Over a five year period, SNC-Lavalin
people have used their technical and commercial expertise to shape one of Britain’s most significant rail projects.
has added significant value to the DfT team by bringing both technical and commercial expertise to the project. Our technical consultants brought many years of practical experience which allowed the DfT to produce a technical specification for a train which will meet the arduous demands of the Thameslink service, with SNC-Lavalin's
expertise leading to the specification of the first of a new generation of inter-urban EMUs for the UK.
Our commercially focussed consultants worked closely with DfT’s legal and commercial advisors to ensure that project risk was carried by the party most able to manage it, resulting in contract drafting which was detailed and thorough, both at the invitation to tender stage and through the negations to contract signature.