Over the next five years, London Underground’s Sub-surface Line Automatic Train Control Signalling Upgrade programme (SUP ATC), will see the installation of communications-based train control (CBTC) on 310 km of track and 181 new passenger trains (and eventually additional engineering trains) across London’s Metropolitan, District, Circle and Hammersmith & City lines – over 40% of the LU network.
SNC-Lavalin is providing technical leadership and specialist automatic train control, signalling, command and control, software, cybersecurity and rail systems expertise to the TfL/LU client team to support the successful delivery of this major programme.
- Providing overall programme engineering management and leadership for the advanced train control system and railways systems delivery work streams
- Supplying technical leadership and advisory support on the radio-based CBTC concept solution
- Evaluating potential ATC suppliers’ systems for fitness for purpose
- Undertaking ATC technical and engineering expertise support
- Providing training seminars and expert technical support to help the large multi-disciplinary team get up-to-speed as quickly as possible against very constrained timescales
Re-signalling London Underground’s sub-surface lines will increase the capacity up to 32 trains per hour during peak operation, reduce whole life costs and improve the reliability of assets with an overall aim of making London’s underground network truly world class.
has deployed its extensive experience and knowledge of working on metro signalling systems around the world on this large, complex and challenging programme. We have embedded a team of highly experienced signalling, train control and rail systems experts within the TfL/LU client team to support them with the procurement phase helping to provide detailed technical knowledge of the suppliers’ systems and their suitability for the sub-surface line operations.