Kansas City is building the first phase of a new modern streetcar network to support a transforming downtown and improve mobility in the urban core. The two-mile starter line has 16 stops and will use four vehicles.
was engaged by the City through the Prime Consultant to support all aspects of the vehicle procurement process. The Interfleet team were engaged from the initial vehicle definition phase, through to final testing and commissioning, utilising its extensive rail vehicle procurement expertise to deliver cost-effective oversight and project management services.
- Developed the procurement strategy focusing on identifying suitable ‘piggyback’ vehicle options
- Developed a vehicle requirements document and vehicle acquisition plan that allowed for parallel development of a vehicle RFI and infrastructure design activity
- Developed a proposal evaluation framework using a best value approach
- Provided support to the broader project design team with expert knowledge of streetcar technology and operations / maintenance
- Provided design review and production inspection services utilising a SharePoint-based project document management control system to manage all vehicle-related documentation
- Accelerated procurement through use of a performance based RFP package
- Leveraged design review approach appropriate for a piggyback procurement. The team built on design review activities for the base order to minimise costs while still ensuring appropriate risk management activity