As part of the West Coast Power Upgrade the ABC consortium (Alstom, Babcock and Costain) contracted us to provide survey and design services to assist in the roll out of the ATF system across the network.
The project involved the provision of a dedicated survey team working closely with our Civil and OHLE design engineers to ensure a comprehensive survey was observed. Survey Teams observed over 30km of the West Coast using the latest in HDS Laser Scanning technology. This advanced survey technique enables a range of survey deliverables to be produced from one data set.
- We are at the forefront of new survey technology and survey techniques, this is highlighted by identifying the potential of HDS (high definition surveying) as an ideal system for OHLE surveys and observations
- The survey technique developed, allowed for 95% of the survey data to be collected from a position of safety with no requirement for track access
- The ‘capture all’ survey method reduces or eliminates costly return visits to the site, and also provides data available for other elements of project
- Provision of a dedicated survey and site access planning team who hold extensive knowledge of the West Coast Route, having completed numerous large scale schemes
- Integrated approach between the survey and design teams benefits all
- Undertaking a detailed OHLE Survey using HDS laser scanning Techniques.
- Using a Leica P20 HDS Scanner, data is observed in a full 360 degree field of view and to a distance of 100m. Over 80million coordinated survey points are recorded.
- Data processing allows for the production of a range of deliverables including, Survey Models, Sections, Elevations, 3D models – Wire frame, Surface models, Contour plans, animations, Assets management, Verification surveys and Bim Models