As part of a £10bn programme of investment by Transport for London (TfL), London Underground has led the project to renew one of the city’s busiest underground lines, accommodating major capacity increases and improving levels of service for commuters on the Victoria Line.
We were engaged to provide technical and engineering management support on rolling stock, train control, signalling and overall system delivery. The specific remit related to the provision of technical expertise and assistance to TfL in ensuring the effective integration of control systems and rolling stock, so that the solutions delivered were fit for purpose and migration of the new systems were done seamlessly, minimising disruption to the operations of one of the busiest metro lines in Europe.
- Managing the complex interface between rolling stock, control system and signalling system reducing technical and performance risks
- Developing, implementing and managing system engineering processes and systems for the programme to ensure effective delivery
- Delivering and managing system test rig to reduce on site testing time
- Managing system migration to reduce risk of operational disruption
- Providing technical leadership at the overall system/programme level
As a result of the Victoria Line Upgrade, passengers are now benefitting from the most frequent train service in the UK, waiting less than two minutes between trains arriving on platforms at peak times, with up to 34 trains per hour.
We have added value through working closely and collaboratively with the London Underground/TfL client and their suppliers, providing technical leadership, project engineering and system engineering and integration expertise to ensure the successful delivery of the project.